Friday, December 16, 2005

Architects in Software Industry

I was reading this article on architect personas. I tend to disagree with just 3 there. I believe there are many more here. From experience, I'm listing down what roles I think should be here:

Enterprise Architect:
Defines what enterprise needs in terms of application and integration.

Application Architect:
Evaluates applications/softwares in line with directions from Enterprise Architect. Makes Build/BUY decision.

Integration Architect:
Defines EAI standards

Data Architect:
Defines flow of information and events (Senior, enterprise wide app-to-app, junior, at app level)

Network architect:
Defines network topology, DR strategies

Technical Architect:
Defines architecture for single app and its interfaces

I believe "Software Architect" is best suited as general term to differentiate from general (Civil) Architects and in all of the above you can replace Architect with "Software Architect" as "Enterprise Software Architect" to better quality them.

No comments: