Friday, July 17, 2009

Trying to Fix Broken Fedora 11 Install

My tryst with Fedora 11 started on a bad note. First, preupgrade from Fedora 10 couldn't resume where it left off earlier, due to some python errors. Tried couple of times to resume, but didn't succeed. Perhaps, some patch release fixed and preupgrade finally worked.

After downloading all required packages, I hit that button to reboot and continue install. Mid way thru the install, the screen goes blank.. no error but just to save power... but my hitting shift key to wake it up, fired keysym package errors and resulted in broken install. bad omen!!! never before I have seen a linux crib about key press...

Anyway, the system boots up back to fedora 10 but look at it... the keyboard no longer works!!!

My attempts to fix the broken install failed. the rpm repository is perhaps damaged beyond repair.Somehow I managed to boot the machine with same install image from preupgrade. Not much help. Didn't go well at all...

So I have a broken F-10 that won't work due to no keyboard (and thus I can't login). Finally, I decided to download fresh F-11 images...

Booting F-11 live from USB is the only thing that has worked since...

F-11 DVD download resulted in bigger problem. My other laptop doesn't have DVD burner. So somehow using that damaged laptop remotely to burn the DVD image from other laptop, I got a F-11 DVD. Directly mounting image is not working as it is on LVM and F11 not able to recognize that during installation.

Now, latest is that F-11 complains that DVD I burned remotely is not good... test is failing after 85%... I'm running low of patience on this...

1 comment:

Suresh Kumar Shukla said...

Try ubuntu, its closest to xp/vista replacement.

fedora 11 is beta testers group for Redhat.

Dell and HCL also give preinstalled machines with Ubuntu.