Thursday, July 02, 2009

N97 Maps?

The post at guardian claims that maps from Nokia don't work. I have an E90 and have been using maps for quite some time. They keep getting better with every new upgrade to phone OS. Though, I miss a couple of features from good old initial days in maps (easiness to mark a landmark on map is no longer there) but the quality and accuracy of these maps is awesome, even in India. Perhaps the author didn't know how to load maps using Nokia Map Loader...

I have use the maps, GPS navigation and voice guidance in USA as well as India on E90 and it has worked extremely well. The fact that maps are stored on phone memory (or in SD card, in my case) means that it is much faster to load (about 1 sec). GPS has worked very well and latest release has added location positioning from telcos towers while GPS signal is still being acquired to give a better initial experience.

Not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but I find it much better than various other options I have seen for its size.

I wish there was a video out on E90...

No comments: